Be An ISLAND Ranger
ISLAND Ranger is a combination programme between RIVER Ranger and SMART Ranger for the island community to emphasize in natural resource management, waste management and river & sea shore monitoring. One of the undergo project under ISLAND Ranger is The Pulau Pangkor Solid Waste Management Project with community participation. It is a three-year project (2015-2017) implemented by GEC with Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) Perak with the cooperation of the University of Queensland and VALE Malaysia Minerals Sdn Bhd.
Long-term benefits of the project to the community
There are 3 major problems on the Island:
Waste, waste water management and sediment / silt domestic seafood producers and recreation that will affect the environment:
- damage to health if the water is polluted, drink or used for bathing
- encourage the growth of bacteria, germs and disease causing river water smells
- attract rats, cockroaches, mosquitoes and flies
- lead poisoning and pressure on habitats and aquatic life
Destruction of catchment areas, forests and unsustainable development
- bare soil areas and cause soil erosion
- oil spilled from the boat to the river / sea prevents the enter of air into the water, causing plants and aquatic animals cannot breathe and will die
Thus, through the programme we can:
Create an eco-friendly island environment
- This project has the ability to educate communities on the island to guard the environment. Through continuation of follow-up activities, it will establish a platform for long-term sustainability involving future generations.
- Higher chance of increasing number of tourists through environmental and cleanliness enhancement.
- Local communities, particularly fishermen can generate extra income through the “Waste into Wealth” concept. Changes in lifestyle for a more eco-friendly environment raises the quality of life and also a healthier mindset.
Do visit our Facebook page for more information on Island Ranger activities in Pulau Pangkor. Click here.